Are you thinking of enrolling your little one in midwifery classes ?
Midwifery or swimming for babies is very fashionable. There are many parents who decide to take their little ones to the pool. When they are just a few months old so that they can acquire skills in the water. And it is that the benefits of swimming lifeguard class in babies. And young children are many and have been proven.
Among other advantages, swimming in babies helps the development of psychomotor, cognitive, psychological and social skills. However, there are also parents who are hesitant, because they believe that it involves exposing their babies to unnecessary risks.
In this post we are going to explain what midwifery is . The main benefits of swimming for babies, the risks that exist and how you can minimize them. So that you have a general idea and decide. If you want to jump into the pool with your baby or prefer not to.
Must read : How to Prevent Swimming Pool Stain
What is midwifery or swimming for babies
The exercises in the pool specially designed for babies. And children between 0 and 3 years of age are called midwifery . To begin with, you have to be clear that even if we talk about swimming. It is not about learning to swim with lifeguar4d class. Until they are four years old, the little ones do not develop the motor skills and coordination necessary for it.
That is why it is necessary that the little. Ones are accompanied at all times by their parents or a caregiver in the water.
The objective is different depending on the age of the child. In the first months. Until the year, it is basically that they do not lose reflections that already come ‘as standard’. For example, closing the glottis when instinctively putting the head in the water or getting into a floating position. Also that they enjoy the water, the movement and the stimuli it provides. In addition to the contact with their mother or father.
Read here more about lifeguard class under the instructions of American lifeguard USA.
Swimming exercises for babies
Some of the exercises that are carried by out in swimming classes with babies are the following:
- Displacements face up and face down: It simply consists of moving the baby from one side of the pool or bathtub to the other in both positions. It can be done by simply supporting them on the arms or shoulders of their parents or with the help of tables or churros.
- Immersions: It is what usually scares parents the most. It seems that the baby is going to drown, but, carried out with the indications of the monitor, you will be surprised how quickly he learns to put his head in without swallowing water. In fact, if he is very small, he will do it instinctively.
- Dives with displacement: Another of the usual swimming with lifeguard class exercises for babies , when you already have some practice, is to put the baby under the water and propel him slightly so that he dives and comes out on his own.
- Jumping on their own: As soon as the babies sit up by themselves, you can start practicing with them to jump from the curb into the water. They will end up doing it alone and, when they walk, standing up.
- Reaching and manipulating objects: Babies are encouraged to reach for objects that float or are placed on the walls of the pool. Later they will also take them from the bottom.
- Games and songs: In most classes, baby swimming exercises are interspersed with songs that invite little ones to splash or move in the water. And with games like going under foam bridges or getting wet with showers. The playful part is essential for babies to get involved and enjoy themselves in the pool.
When to sign a baby up for swimming: recommended age
Many parents wonder when is the right time to start baby swim lessons . It is never too late by, but it is recommended to wait at least four months to start.
The reason is that until that age. Babies do not have a well-developed immune or respiratory system and are more likely to catch infections or viruses. They also don’t regulate temperature well and get cold easily in water.
Our advice is to write it down around six months. It is when you will begin to enjoy the most and you will not yet. Have lost primary reflexes that it is good to work on.